Benefits of Membership
Atlantic is no ordinary bank. We’re a credit union. We’re founded on the democratic premise of the cooperative movement, the idea that friends, neighbors, and community members do better when they work together. We believe hard-working, fun-loving people — people like us — deserve access to low-cost financial services. 641,000 Maine members and nearly 100 million Americans who trust their credit unions to provide these services agree.
Credit union membership offers many benefits. Services range from simple savings and rewards checking to home equity loans and IRAs. Study after study has revealed that, on average, credit unions provide the best financial offerings with fewer fees, lower rates on loans, and higher rates on savings. And credit unions continue to score higher than all other financial institutions in consumer satisfaction surveys. Credit unions strive to deliver the best service possible to their most important assets, their members. That can be you.
Who Can Join?
As of February 25, 2004, membership in Atlantic Federal Credit Union is open to all of Cumberland and Sagadahoc counties as follows:
- People who live, work, worship, attend school, or work in businesses and other legal entities, located in the Maine counties of Cumberland and Sagadahoc
- Employees and volunteers of this credit union, members of their immediate families, any relatives of an existing member and any organizations of such persons
- Organizations who provide economic assistance to people within the above-described area through the purchase of shares of this credit union
Once a Member, Always a Member
Once a person joins the credit union, s/he may remain a member for life, even if her/his relationship to a qualifying community or organization changes.
How to Join?
Our friendly service representatives are available to help you open an Atlantic account at any of our branch locations. There are just a few things you’ll need to do:
- You must meet our eligibility requirements
- Provide a current, valid picture identification or driver's license
- Provide your social security number
- Purchase a share for $25, which will be deposited into your new Basic Savings Account or Business Savings
Important Information about Procedures for Opening a New Account
To help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, Federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens an account. What does this means for you? When you open an account, we will ask for your name, address, date of birth, and other information that will allow us to identify you. We may also ask to see your driver's license or other identifying documents.
For more information, feel free to contact us by phone or email.* A member service representative will be in touch, sending you everything you need to open your new Atlantic account.